This page contains details of upcoming RISC OS shows, and any other events that while not specifically to do with RISC OS may be of interest to users of the platform, for example because someone from the RISC OS world is exhibiting.
Over time, I would like to expand this page to include historical show dates – and should I do so, link to online reports and other information. For now, however, it just covers those events that are known or anticipated for 2023. User group details were previously also found on this page, but a new page is planned for those.
If you have details of any events not shown below that you think may be relevant or of interest to RISC OS users, or if you are aware of any RISC OS related user groups not listed, please let me know.
RISC OS shows
RISC OS Southwest Show
- Where: Arnos Manor Hotel, 470 Bath Road, Bristol, BS4 3HQ.
- When: 25th February, 2023. Doors open 10:30am – 4:00pm
- Wedge: £6.00 on the door.
The Southwest Show is currently organised by Richard Brown of Orpheus Internet, and Andrew Rawnsley of R-Comp – both of RISC OS Developments. They took over the event for 2012, and moved it from its old location near Weston-super-Mare to the new location in Bristol for the 2019 show.
Wakefield Acorn & RISC OS Computer Show
- Where: Cedar Court Hotel, Mayo Avenue, Rooley Lane, Bradford, BD5 8HW.
- When: 22nd April, 2023. Doors open 10:30am – 4:30pm
- Wedge: £2.00 on the door.
The Wakefield Show is organised by the Wakefield RISC OS Computer Club. The event usually takes place on the outskirts of Wakefield, but is currently taking place in nearby Bradford due to the normal venue being unavailable.
RISC OS eXperience
- Where: Usually Wijkgebouw de Vuister, Molenwerf 44, 1541 WR Koog aan de Zaan, The Netherlands.
- When: TBC, usually May.
- Wedge: Usually free.
- Web:www.bigbenclub.nl/bbc/rox/que_uk.html [English version]
Also referred to as the annual Big Ben Club day, the RISC OS eXperience is organised by the Big Ben Club and is a chance for users and developers from all over (not just the Netherlands) to meet up and show off what they’re doing.
Midlands Virtual Midsummer Show
- Where: Online, using Zoom.
- When: TBC, probably July.
- Wedge: Usually free.
- Web:www.mug.riscos.org/show2022/ [2022’s show]
The old physical Midlands Show was organised by the Midlands User Group but was discontinued due to low attendance, but it was brought back as a virtual event for 2022 and – hopefully – will continue in this form.
RISC OS London Show
- Where: Usually the St Giles Hotel, Hounslow Road, Feltham, TW14 9AD.
- When: TBC, usually late October.
- Wedge: Usually £5.00 on the door
The London Show is organised by the RISC OS User Group of London, and usually takes place the same weekend in October that the clocks are put back an hour. The 2022 event had to be cancelled when the venue became unavailable and a replacement couldn’t be found – but hopefully it will return for 2023.
Yorkshire Games Festival
- Where: The National Science and Media Museum, Bradford, BD1 1NQ.
- When: 4th-10th February, 2023.
- Wedge: Unknown – possibly free, with chargable entry to some talks.
Not part of the regular run of RISC OS shows, the Yorkshire Games Festival covers an entire week – but Tony Bartram from AMCOG Games will be exhibiting on the 4th and 5th February as part of the ‘Let’s Play!’ family weekend.